To Dance Around Your Palate …
These simply dressed up and quickly cooked carrots not only offer a contrasting flavor refresher, …
… but also add a bright spot of color to any dished up plate.
Continue reading …
Casual Recipe for Sweetly Spiced Carrots
carrots, scrubbed and sliced
salt & pepper
sweet spices (e.g.: pinches of allspice, nutmeg, and/or ginger; and then a little coriander or cardamom)
white balsamic or champagne vinegar
an orange or two (navel, valencia, mandarin, clementine, cara cara or blood)
crystallized ginger, minced
candied orange peel, sliced
- In a heavy skillet over medium heat, toss the carrots with enough oil to coat.
- Stir in salt, pepper and sweet spices to taste.
- Drizzle on a tablespoon or two of vinegar and stir in.
- Then squeeze on enough orange juice to create a shallow layer of liquid on the bottom of the pan.
- Stir again, cover, and reduce the heat to low to simmer until the carrots are just tender, but not soft.
- Uncover, add a little of the optional crystallized ginger and/or candied orange peel to taste, and stir until any remaining juices have evaporated and coated the carrots.
- Taste carefully and adjust for vinegar, salt and pepper balance.
- Serve, hot, cold or picnic temperature.
Bon Appetit! Kay