And So Many Variations on the Theme —
It’s Spring after all, so why not make the most of these quick and easy-to-prepare lentils from the southwest of France? Both the taste and texture can hold their own, but they also welcome good company. Use as a hot or cold main or side dish, either solo or combined with vegetables and/or meaty bits.
“Casual Recipe for French Green Lentils”, continued:
Casual Recipe for French Green Lentils
French green lentils [1 cup dry to make about 3 cups cooked]
water [4 cups per cup lentils]
a bay leaf
several sprigs fresh parsley & thyme [if you have some]
- Rinse the lentils.
- Put them in a heavy saucepan with the water and herbs.
- Bring just to the boil.
- Reduce to simmer and cook, lid askew, until lentils are tender but not soft (25-30 minutes). Don’t overcook.
- Drain, discard the herbs, and rinse lentils with cold water.
- Transfer to a bowl and fold in olive oil, salt, pepper and chopped fresh herbs to taste.
and Play with:
- Simply add to a green salad.
- Use to fortify a vegetable soup.
- Gently warm and dress up with butter and shallots.
- Fold into braised peas, carrots, leeks, spring onions, new potatoes...
- Embellish with cooked fish, bacon or ham, and/or a poached a hard-cooked egg.
Bon Appetit! Kay